SEO for WordPress blogs is one of the best ways to get more traffic from search engines, and it doesn’t have to be complicated. If you create good content for your target audience and ensure that search engines can easily find and index your site, you’ll reap the benefits in no time!
Here are five easy steps to optimizing your WordPress blog to rank higher on search engine results pages (SERPs).
Step 1 – Install Yoast SEO Plugin
This is the most popular and recommended plugin by WordPress, and with good reason. It will help you set up your site to optimize for search engines.
The first step is installing the Yoast SEO plugin. You can do this directly from your admin panel by clicking on Plugins followed by Add New. From there, type Yoast SEO into the search bar, click on the corresponding result and then click Install Now to install it onto your site.
You’ll notice a new menu item entitled Yoast SEO pop up right away under the Settings menu. Clicking on this link will take you to a page where all the settings are laid out. The default settings should be fine; however, I recommend changing a few key things, like changing Default Redirects to No redirects and selecting Use XML Sitemaps if they aren’t already selected automatically.
For more details on how to change these settings, please refer back to this post.
Step 2 – Add Keywords
Once you have chosen your keywords, it is time to put them into the content on your site. Keyword density is a term that refers to how often a keyword appears on a page relative to the total number of words in the document. Keyword density is only one factor that search engines use when ranking pages, but it is an essential factor.
The more unique and relevant the keyword phrases are to what you are writing about, the more effective they will be. For example, if I am writing about the Paleo diet, I should try to include at least one sentence where I mention both Paleo and the diet.
Step 3 – Write an Outstanding Title Tag
The title tag is arguably the most important on-page element because it allows search engines to find your content when someone searches for a specific phrase or keyword. The title tag is also one of the first elements visitors see when they visit your site and will appear in their browser tab.
Here are some guidelines you should follow to ensure you get the most out of your title tags.
- Use appropriate keywords: Add your main keywords at the front of your title tag so that people searching for them can find your website easily. For example, the Best SEO Consulting Company near Minneapolis.
- Include keywords from popular search terms: Don’t just use the exact words repeatedly throughout your titles, but include relevant phrases from popular search terms. Remember not to go overboard with this, though. Otherwise, you’ll end up with a jumbled mess.
- Finally, capitalize each word in your title, except for articles (a, an) and prepositions (of).
Step 4 – Write Great Meta Descriptions (SEO copy)
Meta descriptions are the snippets of text that show up under your site’s URL in search results, and they’re essential because they’re one of the first things a potential customer will read. A good meta description should be concise (under 150 words) and include keywords that describe your business.
Here are some tips for SEO for WordPress blogs on how to write great meta descriptions:
1. Use Keywords Your Customer is Looking For – There’s no point in having a meta description if it doesn’t mention what you offer. Make sure your copy includes relevant keywords so people know what you do immediately and can find you more easily.
2. Use Active Voice – The best way to make your copy sound natural is with active voice. Active voice makes sentences seem like they’re happening now instead of being told in the past tense, which sounds more professional and engaging.
3. Keep It Concise – Don’t go into too much detail about what you offer, or else it might get cut off when someone searches for something specific.
4. Highlight What Makes You Different – If you have anything unique that sets you apart from competitors, this is an excellent place to mention it. Maybe your store offers free shipping or free returns? Maybe you have an interesting backstory? Be sure to list all of the benefits of buying from you!
5. Avoid Jargon & Buzzwords – If there’s any jargon in your business name, keep it out of your descriptions. These phrases confuse customers and make it difficult for them to understand your business without looking further.
Must Read: how to start a news website in Kenya
Step 5 – Writing a Good Headline
A good headline is one of the essential parts of your website and SEO for a WordPress blog. If you can’t capture someone’s attention with a good headline, they won’t click on your link, which means no traffic. Now, it’s not as easy as just having a catchy or informative headline.
Many factors go into creating a successful headline and enhancing SEO for WordPress blogs.
- First, you need to use keywords that would be relevant to your target audience.
- Secondly, the headline should be enticing so readers will want to read more about what you’re trying to say.
- Lastly, try using inspirational words because people easily remember things when they have some emotional connection.
Finally, you have a proper guideline for making your blog SEO-friendly. With the above process and guide on SEO for WordPress blogs, even beginners can create an SEO-friendly blog and maintain a top search engine ranking.